Membership Subscription

Thread: Need help soarer won't start tried everything :(

Real Name
    D,Timm
    Thanks

Exclamation Need help soarer won't start tried everything :(

Hey, i need some help figuring out what is wrong with my soarer to begin it's a 1991 Toyota Soarer JZZ30 with the 2.5L straight 6 tt "1JZ twinturbo" anyway i was cruzen about 80kms when the car just died " didn't make no sounds no sputtering just died" i was on my way home because my battery was getting over charged ?! maybe the voltage regaltor in the alternator ? anyway it was leaking so after it died i tried to start it ... nothing just cranked cranked cranked no fire i got it towed home i didn't smell any fuel and i don't have spark so i did some troubleshooting online here's what ive done
    -Checked ignitor in a buddys soarer it was fine
    -replaced the alternator
    -Replace both camshaft position sensors
    -Replace crankshaft position sensor
    -Replaced coil packs

And still nothing it turns but won't fire think this could be a blown ECU ?
    any help would be appreciated !!!

Master Mahjongg Champion!
    Real Name
    Chris Barclay
    Thanks
    Could be the ECU especially as you've replaced coilpacks (unlikely anyway as it would need to be 3 at once) and sensors to eliminate them.

Given that you're trying a troubleshooting by replacement approach why not try your ECU in your buddy's car?

Real Name
    D,Timm
    Thanks
    Yeah that's what i was thinking ... but i replaced them anyway because why not i had the parts kicking around ... as far as the ECU goes im trying to get a hold of my buddy to do it but he's very busy and the only guy i know in Edmonton with a soarer i was going to go buy a ecu from calgary this weekend but is that just gonna be more wasted money ? how many other options do i have

Real Name
    Ian Cass
    Thanks
    Did you ask your car what's wrong?

http://soarerworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1882

Real Name
    D,Timm
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris88 View Post
    Could be the ECU especially as you've replaced coilpacks (unlikely anyway as it would need to be 3 at once) and sensors to eliminate them.

Given that you're trying a troubleshooting by replacement approach why not try your ECU in your buddy's car?
    Yeah that's what i was thinking ... but i replaced them anyway because why not i had the parts kicking around ... as far as the ECU goes im trying to get a hold of my buddy to do it but he's very busy and the only guy i know in Edmonton with a soarer i was going to go buy a ecu from calgary this weekend but is that just gonna be more wasted money ? how many other options do i have

Real Name
    Steve Smith
    Thanks
    Petrol engines are basic, and they need basic things, without these they wont start.

(1) Petrol. check to make sure you have petrol, these gauges lie, also check the fuel pump ECU is working ok and you do have fuel pressure. Search for fuel pump ECU on here. Check the fuse under the bonnet for the EFI system, also the relay for the EFI system.

(2) Air. If it doesn't have air it wont start, check the air filter isn't blocked, or the induction pipe.
    also the inter-cooler can block, so take the pipe off of the inlet and try again.

(3) Electric. but if the engine will spin over the battery is good, a car does NOT need a alternator to start. If you have a mate with a TT then swap over the ignitor ( on the passengers side wing)

(4) Spark. No Spark = no start. take a coil pack out, connect a spark plug to it and spin it over to see if there is a spark at the plug.

(5) Compression. If you dont have compression it wont start, The reasons for no compression would be (a) Pistons not moving or have a hole in them. (b) head gasket gone (c) valves not closing or faulty. Timing belt broken.

(6) blocked exhaust, if the gasses cant get out IT WILL NOT START.

(7) Timing, the belt can slip, if this has happened it wont start, check the timing marks are lined up.

(8) Pilot error. This is an unexplainable phenomenon and way above my pat grade.

(9) Act of God, Are you right with God ............. Opps sorry wrong forum.

Real Name
    D,Timm
    Thanks
    HEY ! k so i went to calgary last night and bought an ECU put it in took a couple of start's but she fired ! happy ending soarer no spark no fuel randomly died = ECU failure

Real Name
    Chris Barclay
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RERAOS1JZ View Post
    HEY ! k so i went to calgary last night and bought an ECU put it in took a couple of start's but she fired ! happy ending soarer no spark no fuel randomly died = ECU failure
    Good result but I've heard it's a big country, just how far apart are Edmonton and Calgary?

Real Name
    D,Timm
    Thanks
    Good result but I've heard it's a big country, just how far apart are Edmonton and Calgary?
    Edmonton to calgary is rough 330+ kms
    we got it done in 2 and a half hours there it's not that far of a drive but its just a long boring stretch.... K so new question for you guys i got my soarer all running everything was going smooth apon warm up " then the gauges, heater, deck , windows "ext all stoped working car stayed running" i turned it off went to go start it .. no fire NO POWER i flicked the key a could of times the dash lights came on and it fired shortly after it cut back out it comes on then off ... Any idea on what this could be ?

Real Name
    Chris Barclay
    Thanks
    Edmonton to calgary is rough 330+ kms
    we got it done in 2 and a half hours there it's not that far of a drive but its just a long boring stretch.... K so new question for you guys i got my soarer all running everything was going smooth apon warm up " then the gauges, heater, deck , windows "ext all stoped working car stayed running" i turned it off went to go start it .. no fire NO POWER i flicked the key a could of times the dash lights came on and it fired shortly after it cut back out it comes on then off ... Any idea on what this could be ?
    This has got to be a wiring problem with a dodgy connection or possibly an intermittent short somewhere (you've already eliminated an intermittent problem with the ECU). If it does'nt stop the car then it's most likely in one of the auxiliary circuits that gets checked before the car starts.

Start with all of the fuses, take them out, clean contacts and put them back. Then look for burnt or chafed wires and loose connecting plugs (especially on the bits that you've just disturbed).

Good luck, this could be a long job, intermittent faults are always the hardest to find.

Real Name
    D,Timm
    Thanks
    This has got to be a wiring problem with a dodgy connection or possibly an intermittent short somewhere (you've already eliminated an intermittent problem with the ECU). If it does'nt stop the car then it's most likely in one of the auxiliary circuits that gets checked before the car starts.

Start with all of the fuses, take them out, clean contacts and put them back. Then look for burnt or chafed wires and loose connecting plugs (especially on the bits that you've just disturbed).

Good luck, this could be a long job, intermittent faults are always the hardest to find.
    Alright , a quick "Dumb question" the positive connector to your battery mine broke so I changed it there's 2 wires that go in (I assume positive and ground ? ) can there be touching ? I've checked must my fuses and they seem good although since I did blow an ecu maybe I blew the 120 under the hood ? I heard it can cause this problem.?

Real Name
    Chris Barclay
    Thanks
    Alright , a quick "Dumb question" the positive connector to your battery mine broke so I changed it there's 2 wires that go in (I assume positive and ground ? ) can there be touching ? I've checked must my fuses and they seem good although since I did blow an ecu maybe I blew the 120 under the hood ? I heard it can cause this problem.?
    The two wires that go to the +ve terminal of the battery are both +ve and they touch at the battery terminal. The only things that the +ve terminal of the battery connects to directly are the fuse / relay box (LHS under the hood) and the starter motor. The two wires from the +ve terminal are these two connections. The only thing that the -ve terminal of the battery connects to directly is the engine earth point on the LHS of the cylinder head. The loom is in red below.

Name:  Battery Loom.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  80.3 KB

If you have anything else connected directly to the battery then it is some after-market anciliary.

Real Name
    D,Timm
    Thanks
    The two wires that go to the +ve terminal of the battery are both +ve and they touch at the battery terminal. The only things that the +ve terminal of the battery connects to directly are the fuse / relay box (LHS under the hood) and the starter motor. The two wires from the +ve terminal are these two connections. The only thing that the -ve terminal of the battery connects to directly is the engine earth point on the LHS of the cylinder head. The loom is in red below.

Name:  Battery Loom.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  80.3 KB

If you have anything else connected directly to the battery then it is some after-market anciliary.
    Thanks man , this is my second Soarer and this one ha way more problems my aftermarket deck when I got the car was glitching out and when I would put on my signal light left it would cut out my sterio think the problem is a not properly wired deck ?