Membership Subscription
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reversing camera wiring diagram

Real Name
    kevin Ryan
    Thanks

reversing camera wiring diagram

Hi guys
    I have just installed the reversing camera into my v8 soarer with the EMV screen & it doesn't work I have checked the wiring in the boot where the reversing camera module connect to & i have 13.65 volts out of the red wire,8.65volts out of the green wire & 0volts on the black wire.Now when you select reverse with the ignition on the green wire should go from 8.65volts down to 0volts mine doesnt.what i need to know is how does it switch the image onto the screen when selecting reverse & if anybody have a wiring diagram for this so i can start fault finding.Hope somebody can help me

Real Name
    Carl Percival
    Thanks
    You mean you have connected it up to the OEM wiring in the boot? What sort of cam is it? OEM one?
    You haven't got any TV or DVD have you Kevin? That may have messed up the gearchange selection if it had the 'watch while driving' mod.

Real Name
    kevin Ryan
    Thanks
    Yep i have connected it to the OEM wiring in the boot.Its the Replacement reversing camera from Australia.The tv tuner doen ot need to be connected to make the camera work.I found the problem with that tuner in the end that bit is all sorted now,I had to replace the tv tuner.I now have dvd & tv & Dayton sat nav working on the original emv screen.Not using the Original dayton screen this works fine ,but that does not help me with my reversing camera.I need a wiring diagram

Real Name
    Carl Percival
    Thanks
    All I was thinking was if the 'watch while driving' mod has been done, which I assume it has now, it may (i'm not sure exactly how it works) mess up (or disconnect) the gearchange selection output. So the TV doesn't know it should switch off, but also, the cam may not know its in reverse. If you see what I mean!

Real Name
    Harry Lemmens
    Thanks
    The reversing camera originally gets an input from the reversing lights. When the reversing lights get power, the camera is forced onto the EMV display. Check that your reversings lights are actually working (the fuse may be blown!)

The EMV display actually has specific inputs for the reversing camera (including a "force" signal, to absolutely select that input as the source for the display), so I think it is unlikely that any fiddles to the system to watch TV while mobile would have any detrimental effect.

Real Name
    kevin Ryan
    Thanks
    when i select reverse,my reversing lights are coming on.The light on the gear shifter also lights up & on the left hand side of the dash the letter R also comes up....Hmmmmm Any other ideas.

Real Name
    Kevin Muchiti
    Thanks
    Are you sure camera and electronics box working OK in the first place. You got them second hand, didn't you .....

Real Name
    kevin Ryan
    Thanks
    no this is brand new he said they are all tested before they were dispatched

Real Name
    Harry Lemmens
    Thanks
    The Green wire you mention, if this is going FROM the new control unit, to the EMV, this would be the switching wire that "forces" the EMV to display the reversing camera. My initial test would be to ground (only) that wire, and see if indeed the rest of the unit is working. (Should force the rear vision display permanently on! But you may still need to select reverse ...)

Just re-thinking the modification issue that may let you watch the TV while mobile. It may in fact interfere with the reversing camera. (But only guessing!) The switching signal goes from the camera to the EMV computer, which then "commands" the monitor to use the reversing camera inputs (which are directly connected to the monitor ...).

Run the diagnostics on the EMV. there is a screen in the Diagnostics which let you test the lights, what gear you are in, etc. Ensure that Reverse is being detected by the EMV on that screen!

Real Name
    kevin Ryan
    Thanks
    Hi Harry
    I have done some more testing tonight this is what happens.I disconnected the multi plug from the reversing controller and started to check voltage on those 3 pins (loom side) Red had 13.65volts the black wire had 0 volts & the green wire also had 0 volts.When i plug the reversing controller back in i get 13.65 volts on the red wire 0 volts on black wire & 8.75 volts on the green wire.There is quite a few things i dont understand with how this works.Is the green wire an input or output from the controller & how does my emv screen know there is a camera connected where is it switched from.I do not have the drive mod done on mine i even put the reversing beeper back into the dash.This did not make any difference.I know the reversing camera works i took a separate phono lead & plugged one end into the controller & the other end of the phono into my pal/ntsc converter & this way it does put the picture up on the screen.So thinking about it must be this bl**dy green wire .I could not see anything on the diagnostic screen to check.

Real Name
    kevin Ryan
    Thanks
    I grounded the green wire & selected reverse still nothing.It doesn't seem to make any difference whether it has 8.75 volts to it or 0 volts to it.This is wierd.There's not even a spark or even a tremor from the screen

Real Name
    kevin Ryan
    Thanks
    I bet you lot are reading my posts & thinking why bother with it.Why don't i look behind me when i reverse the car(hee hee).....

Real Name
    Bill Lewis
    Thanks
    Kevin;

Sorry I cant assist with your rev/cam issue but I would be really interested to hear more about you SatNav system, how do you link it to the EMV, what functionality does it have (voice directions?), what model is it? and so on.
    London Bill

Real Name
    kevin Ryan
    Thanks
    Hi Bill
    I was waiting for somebody to ask me that question.It wasn't me that put it in its my mate he's very good with car electrics.Its the vdo dayton ms 5000 all i know at this stage is he aquired the pin outs for the ms 5000 that go from the sat/nav to the sat/nav screen and re-routed some of the wires from that loom & wired them to my car & presto vdo dayton picture is now on the soarer screen.Not sure whether we have sound yet due to no speakers connected or amp in yet.The trouble with me i keep jumping around on other jobs for the car i can never finish 1 job at a time.The moment i get the information on the success of the sat/nav installation i will let you know.Its this reversing camera that is really doing my head in

Real Name
    Richard Thomson
    Thanks
    Kevin, re your VDO ms 5000. Mine is using on the VDO screen and one thing puzzles me about using the EMV screen. The Dayton screen needs signals from my remote control to do anything. Change screens, input directions etc. Sonce the EMV screen does not have a remote input, how does yours work? did your mate hard wire the remote?
    Sorry if this is going too much of reversing cameras.