Membership Subscription
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the source of this engine oil leak???

Real Name
    Ben
    Thanks

Where is the source of this engine oil leak???

It's been a neverending struggle in diagnosing the source of the engine oil leak in my 1JZ. The car has been to numerous shops in the past year and many $$ later I still have this d*** oil leak . It has been very stressful as I am still in college and have many other plans for the car which are on hold until I can drive without the smell of burning oil or backing out of a parking lot showing a small blotch of oil on the pavement. This is what I have had done already:

Replaced Valve cover seals (last year)
    Oil pan reseal (last year)
    Compression test *no sign of mixing of coolant and oil (for blown headgasket)

I have also just recently taken her in to get checked again for which I was told it is not a rear main seal leak. The mech actually told me he doesn't know where the leak is coming from, but he pulled the torque converter (or whatever you do to check for rear main seal leak) and said it was ok.

What I do know is the oil is collecting around the bell housing (looks like from the top down). The front crank seal is dry, its just around the bell housing and blowing onto the tranny and exhaust. Are there any oil lines that could be causing this leak near the back of the engine?? Any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

Real Name
    Craig Allan
    Thanks
    The only oil system I know near the exhaust area besides the cam covers are the turbo oil lines, maybe theyre split or leaking?

Real Name
    Ben
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-and his soarer View Post
    The only oil system I know near the exhaust area besides the cam covers are the turbo oil lines, maybe theyre split or leaking?
    would this leak over the bellhousing area as well? thats where the oil is dripping from . . .

Real Name
    keith robinson
    Thanks
    There's nothing worse than your bell end dripping

Keith
    Every time I go past a Toyota Prius I put my foot down so they can hear me hurting the environment

Real Name
    Craig Allan
    Thanks
    No Ben its too far back from the turbos. If the rear of the cam covers were leaking that would run down the back of the engine and onto the bell(end) housing. I dont know of anything else that could cause oil back there apart from maybe the gearbox. It is possible the cam covers were poorly fitted and still leak...

Real Name
    Ben
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-and his soarer View Post
    It is possible the cam covers were poorly fitted and still leak...
    hmmm after hearing some of the work this guy did, im starting to think u might be right... or it might be something similar to conor's problem?

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/sho...ight=cam+cover

I suppose it could also be that the oil line between the cam covers is leaking? Going to take the cover off tomorrow and investigate...

Real Name
    Richard Fairchild
    Thanks
    Hi I would say its the rear crank shaft oil seal. I know you said you mech says it isn't but unless he dropped the gear box i can't see how he could tell. If he took all the effort to drop the gear box he might as well have changed it any way.

I had the same a few years back and looked every where for the leak in the end it got that bad with engine on tickover you could see the oil dripping out of the gear box bell housing.
    Rich

Real Name
    Ben
    Thanks

Exclamation

UPDATE:

Finally had enough time off work to get the car on the ramps and take a look... Here are some pics of what I've found, what seems to be 2 possible leaks... one near the front water pump and another around the bellhousing... see the pics

Pic 1:Looking up from underneath on intake manifold side, where the red circle is I'm wondering if there is an oil sensor or something here that could be leaking engine oil? What do you think?

Pic 2: Bell housing area where this rectangular-shaped rubber seal is seems to be leaking. THIS IS RIGHT AFTER I HAD CLEANED ALL THE OLD OIL OFF... so I left it to drip dry after hosing everything and deep cleaning the old oil off.. must have been about an hour or so when I came back to check if it was clean enough when I noticed this! fresh oil.... Please note the car was not running! Seems as though this is more serious than I had originally thought...

Pic 3: Same pic different angle

Pic 4: Same pic but you can see where the oil is seeping through..

So my question is this.. what is this seal for? (it looks like its in a random spot) and is this a rear main leak? Can you tell? What are your thoughts on it, please help a fellow soarer owner get his ride running like new again...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Real Name
    Steve Smith
    Thanks
    Those pictures are far to close to be able to distinguish where they are.

This is one I sent to a customer this week.

Here you can plainly see the gear box and the exhaust and the leak area.

Real Name
    Richard Fairchild
    Thanks
    I still recon the rear oil leak is the rear crank shaft oil seal.
    The reason it still looks like it is leaking when the engine is not running after you cleaned it off is because the oil is splashed all around the gear box bell housing and is just running to the lowest point.

Rich

Real Name
    Ben
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH View Post
    . . . the oil is splashed all around the gear box bell housing and is just running to the lowest point.

Rich
    You're right Rich, it was. I since cleaned it off and no more oil was seen in that spot. So now I'm not too sure of a rear main at all.... I started the car tonight, and noticed after running it for about 10 mins that the back of the cam covers is wet with oil which may be running or even dripping (since the front end is on the ramps) on top of the bellhousing cover. The bellhousing seal around was dry and still is with no collection of oil on the bottom.

I've also explained before that I noticed a leak near the front passenger side of the engine close to the water pump. Here is a picture of what I've found after running the engine for a bit... can you tell me if this is an 02 sensor or engine sending unit?? I noticed fresh oil pooling just under it

I got better pics here steve, thanks Let me know what you think...

Real Name
    Steve Smith
    Thanks
    Ah ha. Pilot error.

I had a car here last week with a leak in the same place, I looked for ages and in the end I decided it was pilot error.

It is where you put oil into the engine and you miss the hole, it runs down behind the air con pump and comes out there.

That what I told the customer anyway as I couldn't see where else it could come from.

Real Name
    Ben
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffie View Post
    It is where you put oil into the engine and you miss the hole, it runs down behind the air con pump and comes out there.
    Negative.. I haven't put any oil into the engine since I cleaned it, or even before I cleaned it. Since I started the car and left it running I noticed oil collecting around this 'sensor' (I have no clue what it is?) with no sign of oil travelling anywhere above it besides the rear of the cam covers...

What I want to know is what this sensor does and if it is capable of leaking oil when damaged. . .

Real Name
    Steve Smith
    Thanks
    Negatory good buddy ?

Ok then lets have a look what that sensor is.

Real Name
    Steve Smith
    Thanks
    Well I am unaware that there is a sensor there, so I looked on the EPC and its a negative for a sensor in that position.

I will go over to the engine store in the morning to have a look at an engine to make double sure.