Membership Subscription
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber end of sparkplug lead stuck down plug hole

Real Name
    Me
    Thanks

Rubber end of sparkplug lead stuck down plug hole

The rubber part of my some of spark plug leads that seals around the has spark plug has come off, meaning I can't remove the plugs. the rubber end is stuck around the ceramic of spark plug. This happened on two of the leads when I changed the engine and I couldn't get the rubber part out for love nor money. In the end I had to fit two old plugs to get it going. Now I want to change those two for new ones but can't get one of them out. Tried a couple of long screwdrivers, stiff wire and glue around the plastic part to glue it back on. But nothing has worked. Trouble is, while I currently only need to get one out, I know I will need to remove them all in the future

Any suggestions

Real Name
    Craig Allan
    Thanks
    Can you not snap the ceramic end off the plug and pull that out, leaving the plug spanner free to get to the nut? Not pretty or good practice but might get it out...

Real Name
    Me
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-and his soarer
    Can you not snap the ceramic end off the plug and pull that out, leaving the plug spanner free to get to the nut? Not pretty or good practice but might get it out...
    I can't see how you could as it's down the bottom of a 6" hole. I don't think that would help get it out either.

Real Name
    Ray Nightingale
    Thanks
    So can you still get the plugs unscrewed???

If so, what about something like this? link

Real Name
    Fahd Husain
    Thanks
    Get a set of long nose pliers. And gently pull the rubber or the plug!

Real Name
    Ray Nightingale
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fudssoarer2.5TT
    Get a set of long nose pliers. And gently pull the rubber or the plug!
    A six inch hole would need a set of very very very long nosed pliers...

like these

Real Name
    Me
    Thanks
    The hole is too narrow to get long nose pliers into, and I can't lossen the plugs with the rubber in the way.

Lee Jones is offline Deviant Member
    The Munchen Muncher

Real Name
    Lee Jones
    Thanks
    am I daft for thinking that if you can't get at the plug from the top then last resort would be to take off the cam cover and then unscrew the plug by using pliers on the electrode at the sacrifice of a plug?

Or perhaps a narrow and sharp chisel down the plug hole to cut away the rubber?

Real Name
    Me
    Thanks
    You can see the plug 'tubes' in these pictures, the engine is now in the car though. The tube does not come out, so removing the cam cover and then removing the tube is not an option. The rubber is stuck about 5" down and is around the top of the spark plug.

Lee Jones is offline Deviant Member
    The Munchen Muncher

Real Name
    Lee Jones
    Thanks
    yeah, I am pretty daft actually to not think that the plug would actually be threaded into the head itself rather than just the cam cover, what a plank lol.

I fancy a sharp 1/4" chisel to butcher the remaining rubber then

Real Name
    Me
    Thanks
    I think that using epoxy on the end of the plastic 'tube' that surrounds the HT lead to regluing the rubber to the end of it, and then once it's set, spray WD40 down it, to allow the rubber to slip off the sparkplug and out of the plug hole might work. Hopefully

Real Name
    keith
    Thanks
    can you scew anything into the rubber and then yank ?

Asteroids Champion!
    Real Name
    Kevin, Long
    Thanks
    When this happened to me the problem was that the plug wrench I was using was part of my socket set and it wasn't long enough to reach the nut part of the plug before it fouled on the broken plug lead end. I went and bought a plug wrench that was basically a hollow tube and that reached the nut part and allowed me to unscrew the plug. I mocked up what had happened using another plug and lead and took that with me to the tool shop to find a tool that would reach.

hope this is of use to you.

Looked like this

Real Name
    Me
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klong
    When this happened to me the problem was that the plug wrench I was using was part of my socket set and it wasn't long enough to reach the nut part of the plug before it fouled on the broken plug lead end. I went and bought a plug wrench that was basically a hollow tube and that reached the nut part and allowed me to unscrew the plug. I mocked up what had happened using another plug and lead and took that with me to the tool shop to find a tool that would reach.

hope this is of use to you.

Looked like this

No, thats not my problem.

I've got it out now. I tried the epoxy to glue it back onto the plastic tube, let that go off and then WD40 to help it slip out. No such luck, it just pulled off again

So I removed the little bit of rubber inside my 3/8" drive plug socket and got violent with it in the hope that by pushing very hard would push the rubber down enough to find the hex on the sparkplug. That didn't work, but what it did do was mash the rubber about enough to tear it up a bit and then it hooked out with a bit of wire I have now trimmed the rubber a little so it wont get so stuck in the future, as I need it in there to insulate the end of the lead around the sparkplug.

When I need to get one of the other ones out in the future, I will spray WD40 down the hole BEFORE I even try to pull the lead out. Hopefully this will allow the rubber at the end of the lead to slip off the plug. If not, getting violent with a plug socket seems to do the trick

I will also only buy genuine Mr. T leads in future as they don't seem to have this problem.

Real Name
    Ian Cass
    Thanks
    Is smearing some vaseline around the plug ceramic before you put the lead on an option?